Friday, October 2, 2009

Raining in Ruston

Thursday night (Oct 1st), was a night of some very strong thunderstorms that passed through the Ruston area from a cold front that came through. Here is a closeup of the radar as the storm approached Ruston. I added in Ruston, blue and green are light rain, yellow is heavier rain, and the red is very heavy rain.
Just before the storm hit, I remembered that the day earlier the UPS delivery guy came just after I had returned to the house. The package contained a rain gauge from Patty Montbriand, a friend from high school in Waukesha, Wisconsin, who now lives in Pasadena, California. (Some of us fled the Frozen North for more moderate climates!)

I got the rain gauge out in the yard, and the rain hit around 11:15 pm, and really came down for quite a while. But now, thanks to Patty, I know exactly how much rain I got - 1.25 inches over night! The photo below was taken the next morning before I went to work.
Thank you, Patty, for the rain gauge! It's raining all this week, so I will be able to keep track of how much rain we get.

2 comments:

  1. So how much rain do you get a summer, and how often do you have to mow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We average 55 inches of rainfall a year, but often in the summer we get stretches of several weeks to a month with little or no rainfall. During the fall, winter (a couple of weeks in January), and spring, we often get cold fronts coming through that bring rain for several days at a time. Summer we can get some big thunderstorms, but I sleep through those very well for some reason!

    ReplyDelete